Saturday, January 28, 2012

Traps Ahoy!

Hello there.  Today's post title has been burned in my head since the time this actually had occurred last night. The actual statement is courtesy of s*** that people say when exercising...

Last night, 1/2 way to 3/4 of the way complete my Friday night lift (because what else do people do on a Friday night?). My gaze wanders over to the shoulder press rack, where I find a pair of people (1 male, 1 Female), working out.  Instinctively, my training form radar has a blip on it..  I'm watching two out of shape people, perform the shoulder press, with an range of motion that you can measure on a ruler. That's right, 12" or less, which for something(s) can be appreciated, however range of motion in an exercise is not one of them.   So watching the show, consumes all my attention, and I find some time in there to perform a correctly executed lift myself.

A few minutes later, our dynamic duo, transitions from the shoulder press rack, to a bench. where the same exercise, range of motion and all, is executed with dumbbells.  Then, to top it off,  somewhere in between listening to me doing a dumbbell set, and making noises that would probably set off the effort, lunk alarm at planet fitness, (intensity has a price), I hear the before mentioned duo discussing about how the only muscle that they actually feel getting stronger (IE. Sore) is their traps.

Come on..... your traps?  Well lets take a look at the mechanics of it. If you lift a bar off at full overhead extension, then lower it 12" or less, do you think that any other muscle would actually get used?..  At this point in time, I'm internalizing both a scowl, and a laugh.  My only comment to the root of the issue is, when there's smoke (pain) there is fire (damage).  Every injury is a mistake in your training program, every time you come in and say my traps are sore! You have to take accountability that you did something wrong.. Is what I am doing appropriate for me?

I could get so much further into this, but ill leave it at surface level for the moment.  Just remember folks..

Do NO harm, and be as aggressive as possible while doing no harm.



No comments:

Post a Comment