Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Completing the Bioenergetic Chain - Flushing the system

Hey Folks - Sorry for the lack of updates lately, quite a few things going on. - I'm heading out to Athletes' Performance in Arizona over the week of 3/18 to 3/23 for a truly exciting session. I will basically have a battery of training information fired at me during the day, and spend the evening and night training with pro athletes (NFL/MLS).

 So I've had some required reading to do (Neuroscience 3rd Edition), along with on boarding some new athletes on my roster, several new football / basketball and track athletes have signed on board with me doing multi-day sessions (my training volume conversations with the parents have finally gotten through).

 So now I have managed to fill up 5 nights a week, along with working full time, and my marathon sunday training sessions. So bear with me as I jam in these updates as I have time.

Onto the core of the subject... My favorite Cat Lady (just kidding), posted a link to an article on social media yesterday from mobilitywod (im a huge fan of Kelly Starrett).   Instead of re-engineering the article, (as he does a great job of simplifying it), im going to post the link http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/03/adaptation-error-no-cool-down.html    and provide some basic commentary with it.

This gets overlooked very often in both the general population realms & athletic development.  When you are doing any high intensity work, specifically working the aerobic & anaerobic systems, you absolutely need to "cool down" or as I call it "flush" the system.

The modern day passive/aggressive exerciser is under a time crunch, this I know, but you have to make time for what your body needs..  If you feel run down, or "beat" after a workout, odds are you didn't flush the system, and its your body's way of fighting back (with inflammation).

Flushing the bio energetic system is very simple, and requires about 10 minutes of your time.  My own practice I use the indoor track at my trainer refugee facility, or the Precor Adaptive Motion Trainer. Regardless of the device, its usually 10 minutes in duration, and extremely low intensity.

I know its mundane, and seems unnecessary, however in the long haul your body will thank you with less of an inflammatory response to training stimulus.. Toss your ipod on and cruise through a few songs, before you know it, its all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment